The purpose of the project was to raise awareness and explore possible solutions to current environmental and wildlife challenges:
- Human-animal interface – Elephants and interactions
- Habitat fragmentation and corridor conservation
- Diminishing wilderness areas
- Loss of indigenous knowledge
- Leadership and conservation issues
The 5000 kilometer journey included stages across designated conservation areas in Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Swaziland, Mozambique and South Africa.
TRACKS OF GIANTS, a Wilderness Foundation initiative, was supported by AVIS, Wilderness Safaris, Mantis, the Hans Houheisen Trust, NEW BALANCE (S.A.), the Foundation for Natural Leadership as well as generous individual contributions - was carried out in association with wildlife management authorities within each country including: